Discover Solutions for Treating TMJ-Related Pain
According to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research of the National Institutes of Health, 10.8 million people in the U.S. suffer from TMJ problems at any given time. TMJ, which stands for temporomandibular joint, or the jaw joint, is the small joint in front of each ear that attaches the lower jaw (mandible) to the skull. It allows you to perform such functions as opening and closing your mouth, chewing, speaking, swallowing, etc.
You may be suffering from TMJ disorders if you are experiencing:
- Facial, neck, shoulder, or back pain
- Jaw locking open or closed
- Pain in the jaw joint and surrounding tissues, including the ear
- Limited opening or inability to open the mouth comfortably
- Bite that feels uncomfortable, “off,” or as if it is continually changing
- Swelling on the side of the face
Both men and women experience TMJ problems; however, 90 percent of those seeking treatment are women in their childbearing years. Thanks to Dr. James R. Seligman, there's a solution available. You'll feel at ease knowing that Dr. Seligman has trained with leading TMJ experts at the world-renowned Pankey Institute. Dr. Seligman offers a variety of conservative treatment options to help relieve TMJ-related pain. He even offers appliance therapy as a proven method for treating TMJ. To learn more about solutions for TMJ problems, call and schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Seligman today at 617-451-0011.